North Sound Mental Health Administration

Improving the mental health and well being of individuals and families in our communities
A Regional Support Network for Island, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish & Whatcom Counties.
Home Calendar BHO Planning Contracts Policies
Report Fraud
Around the Sound
Clinical Guidelines
Data Dictionary
Dignity & Respect
Fraud & Abuse
Going to Work
Numbered Memos
Poster Contest
Provider Resources
Quality Mgmt
Requests For...
Staff Resources
Staff Roster

Ombuds Services

...Serving Publicly Funded Mental Health Consumers and anyone applying for Mental Health Services from the North Sound Mental Health Administration in Island, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom Counties.

What is a Mental Health Ombuds?

Ombuds provide consumer-directed advocacy, to consumers of publicly funded mental health services and anyone applying for publicly funded mental health services.   Ombuds assist consumers to ensure that their individual rights are honored.   Ombuds ensure that publicly funded Mental Health services respond to consumer needs and wishes.

Who is eligible?

Anyone receiving or applying for publicly funded Mental Health Services from the North Sound Mental Health Administration or its subcontractors in Island, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom Counties.

The North Sound Mental Health Administration or its subcontractors do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disabled veteran, Vietnam-era veteran, HIV/AIDS, or disability.

How can Ombuds help?

  • Receive complaints from consumers, family members, and other interested parties.
  • Listen to, keep a record of, and investigate complaint.
  • Research and investigate facts, policies, procedures, and laws relating to the problem.
  • Assist in resolving the complaint informally, with the consumer's consent.
  • Advocate on behalf of consumers.
  • Assist consumers through the grievance and fair hearing processes.
  • Recommend changes to correct a problem or prevent future occurrences.

How much does it cost?

There is no charge to consumers for this service.

What can't an Ombuds do?

  • Cannot give legal advice.
  • Cannot provide medical or clinical opinions.
  • Cannot provide case management or therapy.

Who is involved in a complaint?

The Ombuds will assist in resolving the complaint at the lowest possible level, so the complaint can be resolved directly with the parties involved.


The consumer must authorize in writing for the Ombuds to contact or discuss with the agencies or people necessary to resolve the complaint, including family and friends.

How do I contact the Ombuds Service?

Toll-Free 1-888-336-6164
Fax 360-416-7550
Address North Sound Regional Ombuds
Community Action of Skagit County
117 N. 1st St., Ste. 42

Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Website http://www.communityactionskagit.org

Send mail to Michael White with questions or comments about this web site.
North Sound Mental Health Administration